Friday, September 20, 2013

Reviews... I'm "licking" my wounds.

As a blogger, I normally don't read reviews. Why you might ask? Because I want to make sure the opinion I form about the book is completely mine. With that said, I had to read some of the reviews of one the books I'm credited as an editor. I completely loved the book and I wanted to see what the readers thought! Now I completely understand why some authors don't read reviews of their own work. According to this review, I guess the book needs to edited.

I sat here thinking oh  my. Maybe I shouldn't be editing, maybe I don't know what I am doing, I'm going to quit editing... But then I would be letting that one review rule my dreams, and that is not happening! I was thinking why would this person say that and I believe it all comes back to the -ME-...

As an editor, you have the choice to accept cringe worthy grammatical mistakes, to make the story life like. Or fix it, making the sentence some what cold. I know that Me vs I is something we are taught in grade school, but there is just something comforting in a Me statement vs an I statement. No one speaks perfect English 24/7, so why write a story about an imperfect life, in perfect English? That is the beauty of being a writer and an author. Most people get that it was purposely left that way. Obviously there are a few people that like to complain about the smallest detail.

Before you complain about the writing and editing, take a moment to think was it purposely done that way to make the story three dimensional or was it an overlooked error.

No comments:

Post a Comment